Friday, March 02, 2007

Raising Platelets

I was able to proceed with my cancer treatment today using CCI-779. I had missed two weeks because my platelet count was just below the allowable minimum of 50,000. My medical advisors said there is no medicine to raise platelets, like there are injections to raise red or white blood cells. The only thing I could do is wait for my body's bone marrow to spontaneously rebuild my platelet count. In one week it raised from 47,000 to 49,000. So, starting a week ago, I began an experiment to see if I could raise my platelets at a faster rate than that.

I learned from an excellent cancer nutritional expert, Dr. Kim Dalzell http://www.cancercenter.com/midwestern-hospital/physicians/kim-dalzell.cfm that some patients have been able to raise their platelets by adding sesame oil to their diets. So, for the past week, I have taken 1-2 oz sesame oil morning and night.

Then I Googled something like "raise platelets," or "increase platelet count" and found http://www.itp-helper.com. I called Kim Dalzell about the ITP Chinese herb, agrimonia, to see if it might negatively interact with anything else I am taking. It was OK, so I ordered ITP Booster and started taking six per day.

I reasoned that any platelet level today higher than 60,000 would be hard for my body to achieve unaided, Therefore, any number over 60,000 would tell me that my experiment had found a way that patients can raise their own platelet count. My number today was 82,000. I want this information to be known widely by cancer patients whose treatments have to be restricted by lowered platelet counts.

Dennis L. Gibson, Ph.D.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

How long were you on the agrimonia before you noticed an increase in the platelet count. My fathers count is already down to 28,000, I hope we have not waited too long. He has Myelodysplastic Syndrome but is doctor is thinking my father may have converted to AML.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Herryponting said...

Good information.
Kyolic Curcumin Capsule

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home